by Rod D. Martin
September 20, 2018
A little (very recent) history of the NFL:
* In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling for each game to pray. They also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his eye-black to avoid glare, and made him take it off.
* In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders.
* In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3), entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said “Know Jesus Know Peace” but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.
* In 2015 De Angelo Williams was fined for wearing “Find the Cure” eye black for breast cancer awareness.
* In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (Not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem…)
*In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of duty.
* 2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.
But then, all of a sudden, it’s not just okay but “a right” of players to disrespect the flag, the country, our veterans, our police, and all of us: sitting, kneeling, wearing pig socks on the field, whatever any player wants to do, so long as it’s anti-American.
That’s just life in the NFL.